Sunday, November 20, 2011

This blog is about my performance of Green finch and linnet bird on last Tuesday's student recital. I am satisfied with my performance in that I only messed up one word (that I'm sure no one noticed), all the notes and rythms were pretty much "spot on", and nothing happened that would make me think that the performance was a failure. On the other hand, I am my biggest critique. After my performance, I realized that there were some things I didn't do or think about that I will change before my next performance.

First off, I realized that I wasn't aware of my body positioning/stance at all. This scares me because I am usually very aware of placing my feet in the "fourth position" so that I appear professional to the audience. The second thing I will change with Green finch is opening up my jaw to get more of a "mush-mouthed" feel, especially for the i sound in Green. I think this came from watching the clip from the movie where Johanna sings this song. I was trying to emulate her pretty, 'little girl' sound (which she could do becuase she was miked) instead of embracing a more full, higher frequency sound that will cut through the air and come across more clear to the audience.

Other than those two things, I was pretty satisfied with my performance on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. You sang WONDERFULLY yesterday---so consistent! I can see that reflection in this blog. You have really put the sound ideal at the forefront of your vocal "goals" so to speak. I think that keeping this idea fresh in your mind, you will find that finding that "happy place" will become easier and finally, default.

    I am really looking forward to lessons next semester---you are starting to think like a teacher, Jill! Well done!

    ReplyDelete