Monday, February 21, 2011

Earlier today I was running through "Down in the Forest" since I'm singing it on recital in a couple days, and realized that either it's a lot harder of a song than I thought or there is something wrong with my voice. I think this is a tough song for me because it forces me to jump registers between my low voice, medium voice and high voice. As a result, I get funny little cracks in my voice or scoops every once and awhile. Also, my voice is sounding much more
"air-y" than it ever has. I wonder if I have been putting too much strain on it? Oh it is so frustrating having an air-y singing voice! Then to try to fix that, I tried bringing the sounds even more forward than I had been and I just sounded annoying. Anyhow, if anyone can help me I would appreciate it!

2 comments:

  1. Uh oh! Are you feeling vocally exhausted? We should discuss what you have been doing since last week's lesson. You might have been putting too much strain on the belt register, which can have some varying effects on the smoothness of transitions/quality of registers. Last week you nailed "Down in the Forest"! Remember to keep the upper register forward and "skinny." Too much weight in any part of the voice will often lead to cracking.
    Another reason I ask about your singing workload is because an "airy" voice sometimes tells of too much work or strain on the voice. Stop by sometime today and we will troubleshoot the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats! I did not check my blog soon enough! But I would have to say that I was putting too much strain on my voice because after recital; after you reminded me that my mouth was not fully open I came back and practiced with my mouth fully open and everything seemed a lot easier! See you later today!

    ReplyDelete