Monday, February 7, 2011

Helllooo!!!

These past few weeks I have been working on "Voi Che Sapete" and "Down in the Forest" along with songs from the musical "Little Shop of Horrors". I have found that the toughest part for me so far is not the music itself, since it is probably not the hardest music, but the words and forming the correct vowel and consonant sounds. The toughest part of this is trying to totally eliminate the diphthongs we so often create in American English. Right now I am working on keeping the space in my mouth a consistent shape by not moving my jaw, lips and tongue in order to keep myself from creating diphthongs. I am also working on keeping my sound "in the front of my nose" in hopes of maintaining a bright sound while singing - especially the Italian - no swallowing those vowels!!

I am so lucky to be working with Dr. Hepworth and everyone else in our studio. Thank you for your instruction and advice!

1 comment:

  1. Jill, I am the lucky one to be working with such a diligent and talented student! I am happy to hear you are keeping vowel shape and the "buzz" at the forefront of your mind as you sing. The more often you are able to re-visit those feelings, the more likely it will become habit. You have made some incredible strides since you began as a freshman!
    Keep tabs on your energy level---try not to sing "full voice" all of the time. This can put undesired strain on your voice--especially with your musical pieces. Why don't you bring some of Audrey's music with you this week to voice lessons? We can talk more about character voice and how to use it without wearing yourself out.
    Keep it up, Jill!

    ReplyDelete