Sunday, February 27, 2011

This week I have been working on the French song "Mandoline". I think French is the hardest language I have had to sing because many of the vowel sounds have no parallel in the English language. I have been working on these mixed vowel sounds but sometimes I forget how they sound when I'm practicing on my own. I can usually imitate Dr. Hepworth pretty good in my lesson but then I don't understand what I wrote down for that vowel sometimes when I go to practice. I have noticed that one of the key successes to speaking or singing French is keeping your lips puckered for vowel sounds.

Other than French words, I have been working on other things like keeping things frontal and KEEPING MY MOUTH OPEN!!!!!! When my mouth is wide open, everything seems to come a lot easier and it seems to put less strain on my vocal folds. I have been putting a lot of strain on my vocal folds especially when I sing high. Dr. Hepworth's idea of "thinking skinny" along with keeping my mouth wide open helps me to put less strain on my voice.

2 comments:

  1. This is just a random thought - and I don't usually think to do it - but if you can get a recorder (like from Wal-Mart, not too expensive) and record your lessons, you can go back and hear her make the sound again. That's helpful in a lot of ways.

    French is rough, but keep working on it! It gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Katie! Bring a tape recorder or a blank cassette tape to lessons so you can recall the sounds during your practice.
    Remember what we talked about in regards to vocal fatigue and exhaustion. I am guessing that is what is happening with your voice at the moment. Remember also that you can seek the help and advice of colleagues who have taken singer's diction. Jordyn Vogel or Austin Dvorak would be two great people to consult about help with French. I am always here, too!

    Keep up the fantastic work!!! You are making some great strides!

    ReplyDelete