Thursday, April 14, 2011

Whoo Hoo!! I believe that I have memorized Mandoline thanks to Dr. H's advice which was to put pictures and actions to the words so I at least have an idea about what I'm singing about even if I don't know what each word means exactly in English. I tried doing that - thinking of every French word as the English word but it just made me frustrated because then I just wanted to sing the English words. Putting actions with specific words really helped because then I have a sequence of movements to think about and not just words that come right after each other. For example: one phrase talks about how the serenaders are serenading people outside, where there is a breeze under the light of the moon. So my sequence of actions is: reference the piano (as the serenader), then move my arms like they are flowing in the breeze, then reference the moon up above my head. This makes it easier for me to memorize, while also making me more comfortable onstage and also giving the audience something to watch, not just hear.

I think I am ready for tonight, though some of my vowel sounds could probably use a little cleaning up. But it will be fine. Can't wait to run through it in my lesson today before our big studio recital tonight at seven in Ley Theater!! :)

1 comment:

  1. YEA!!! I am really glad our strategy worked! Your learning is called "kinesthetic"---the ability to learn through body movements. I can't wait until you take K-6 music methods....you are going to love it!
    I am so impressed with your growth and maturity, Jill. We can work on fine-tuning your vowels in lessons today (I get to see you in a half hour!) I am more so looking forward to your performance tonight---you deserve all of the positive recognition you have been receiving!
    Congratulations again on a fine semester.

    ReplyDelete